Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dust and Shadow by Lyndsay Faye


When London is struck by notorious killer Jack the Ripper, of course the world's most famous consulting detective Sherlock Holmes is called in. Sherlock finds himself in a difficult position when the killer proves just as crafty as he is and the residents of Whitechapel are led to think that Sherlock might actually be the killer. Faced with inept police work, hysteria, injuries and being framed, Sherlock is forced to tax his strength to the limit and call in the charming, down on her luck Miss Monk to help him.

Genre: mystery, historical

Rating: 3/5

This book. I'm not sure why I didn't like it. I didn't dislike it, I just felt sort of bored by it. The author did a good job trying to fit the Ripper murders with Sherlock mythology, but I don't know. Maybe it was too many iconic things trying to be fit together, like Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster being shoved in a movie together. Part of it might be that Sherlock seems smarter than how he's presented here, but he HAS to not know what's going on to fit into the Ripper mythology. The addition of a female was just sort of blase to me. She was the requisite spunky and intelligent and probably necessary to the story, but nothing about anything in the book really grabbed me. Maybe I'm burned out on Sherlock Holmes stuff, but while this was all serviceable enough and there was really nothing wrong with it, there was really nothing that stood out to me either.

No comments:

Post a Comment